Today was the great dinner party to end all dinner parties!
My University work had to fit in with the preparation required to make this meal a success, so here comes dish number 1:
Babaganoush is generally served as an entree or side dish. It is made of grilled eggplant combined with tahini, cumin, lemon juice, cumin and salt and pepper. My dish is a slight twist on the traditional – by using chick peas instead of tahini.
3 Medium Long Purple Eggplants
3 Cloves of Garlic
1 can of chickpeas
4 Tbsp of Olive Oil
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of cumin
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
(Optional: 1 – 2 tbsp of natural yoghurt)
1 Sprig of Parsley and a sprinkle of dill to serve
Chopped walnuts to serve
- Grill the eggplants until their flesh change colour and they become soft to touch.
- Let cool until just cool enough to touch, then peel off their skins.
- Add the flesh to a blender and whizz until smooth
- Finely chop the garlic and combine in a small bowl with 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil, salt, pepper, cumin and the lemon juice. Set aside
- Heat a pan on a medium high heat and saute the eggplant in the remaining olive oil.
- While this is happening place the chick peas in the blender and whizz until smooth. Add these to the pan and combine.
- Cook for around 1 – 2 minutes and then add the lemon/garlic mixture and stir quickly to combine.
- Remove from the heat after 30 seconds.
- You can add some natural yoghurt, here to make it even more smooth.
- Otherwise serve with chopped parsley and dill and a sprinkle of walnut pieces. I also had grilled foccacia bread on the side for dipping.
It was declared delicious by our guests and hopefully you will try the recipe and love it too!
– Ginga Musings.