Ah it’s back to Italy tonight.
In Italy it is typical to eat two large meals per day – consisting of an entree, primi piatti, seconde and dessert. However this evening we will be having a primi piatti – of spaghetti with lamb and vegetable sauce or Spaghetti con ragu di carne e verdure in Italiano!
Spaghetti con ragu di carne e verdure
400g of Lamb Mince
1 can of crushed tomatoes (400g)
1 onion finely diced
4 cloves of garlic
1 tsp of salt
1 1/2 tsp of cracked black pepper
1 tsp of ground black pepper
2 tsp of mixed herbs
1 tsp of oregano
1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
1 tbsp of Balsamic ( please use the beautiful thick version not the watery vinegar)
2 tsp of maple syrup
1 tsp of dark soy sauce (for colour)
1 carrot grated
1 zucchini grated
1 small long aubergine grated
15 pitted black olives
1 capful of whiskey
1/2 – 3/4 of a cup of pasta per person to serve
Finely Chopped Parsley or cheese to serve
- Chop the onions and garlic.
- Grate the carrot, zucchini and aubergine and set aside.
- Heat a pan over a medium heat with olive oil.
- Crack over the black pepper, salt and then when the oil is smoking slightly add the onions, garlic and aubergine.
- Fry for 10 – 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- Add the meat and cook until it is browned (around 2 minutes)
- Then add the carrot and zucchini, whisky, maple syrup and balsamic.
- Stir to combine and then add the tomatoes.
- Simmer for 10 mins then add the soy sauce and black olives.
- Taste to check flavour and add more salt and pepper as necessary.
- Take off the heat and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Then serve over steaming hot pasta with sprinkles of parsley and cheese.
And there you have it!
Italian at home, light a few candles and share with a loved one:
Hope you enjoyed some beautiful weather wherever you are – thanks for reading.