I am sad to say the challenge is almost at it’s end. It’s been a journey that’s for sure!
Taking the time to photograph and style the food every day has been a more major undertaking than I thought. I love making things look pretty, but my cooking time for these delicious dishes seems to double as I take multiple photos. My handy lighting assistant shine lights to create the illusion of light on these dark winter nights.
Anyway there is plenty of time for critical reflection later, let’s get on with our delicious delicacies for today.
Today I will not be making a Big Mac:
Instead we are going to create a fabulous healthy gourmet burgers with Kalamata Olive tapanade, that actually look like the picture!
Serves 3 – 4
450g Beef Mince
1/4 cup of flour
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of black pepper
1 tsp of olive oil (for cooking)
8 Kalamata Olives
1 tsp of Olive Oil
1/4 of an avocado
4 – 8 Burger Buns
2 Tomatoes sliced thinly
1/2 an apple cucumber sliced thinly
3/4 of an avocado sliced thinly
35g of Feta Cheese Crumbed
50g of Mesculin Mix
Grated Carrot with sultanas
Optional – pineapple, fried egg
- Create your patty mixture first.
- Place the beef in a bowl and crack over the egg, mix well.
- Then sprinkle the flour, salt and pepper over and stir to combine. You want the mixture to be quite tacky so the burgers stick together.
- Put in the refrigerator for 1/2 an hour.
- Then place the olives (de-stoned) in a mortar and pestle and crush into a paste.
- Add the 1/4 of an avocado and the olive oil and create a smooth spread.
- Set aside.
- Thinly slice or grate all the vegetables for the fillings and place in small dishes so people can serve themselves:
- Heat a pan on a medium high heat with the olive oil.
- When the oil is smoking, form 6 – 8, 1 cm thick patties and fry on each side for 5 minutes.
- Check if they are cooked by gently pressing the top of the burger.
- If the burger sinks then it is not cooked and needs longer.
- Once they are cooked set them aside and place your fillings in your burger.
And then sit, back, relax and try not to spill the delicious meat juices down your front.
Tomorrow will be a sad day for our blog as we finally finish our challenge!
Check back for the final piece de resistance from South America!