First off, I have to give credit, this recipe is not mine but is from The Stuff I make my Husband blog.
I have been amazed at how many delicious and easy to prepare slow cooker recipes there have been around. This was only my second attempt in our slow cooker and the results were, if I do say so, delicious!
You may think that forty cloves of garlic or in my case 4 heads of garlic is overkill. However when cooked slowly and under the chicken, it creates an aromatic cooking atmosphere that soaks a subtle hint of garlic throughout the chicken.
I was actually surprised how little it tasted of garlic – maybe next time I’ll try 80. I served mine with slow roasted carrots and kumara (or sweet potato). You can also make a gravy out of the juices from the slow cooker and pour them over the top.
1 Whole Chicken
40 cloves of garlic (although I used about four heads)
1/2 a lemon
1 tsp of turmeric
1 tsp of thyme
1 tsp of salt (rock or normal)
1 tsp of black pepper
1 tsp of Paprika
- Break the heads of garlic apart – but do not remove the skins. Place these in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Carefully cut away the excess fat or extra skin from the chicken, place the half lemon inside.
- Then place the chicken, breast side up in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with the herbs, salt and pepper.
- Place the lid on top and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Enjoy with a generous serving of roast vegetables and perhaps some gravy.