I don’t know if anyone is as in love with Bubble tea as I am. Bubble tea or Milk tea or iced tea has become a bit of a craze in New Zealand. Originating in Taiwan, it is brewed by using black tea, green tea, oolong tea or european flavours like chocolate, caramel or grape. Milk is added along with ice and then the piece de resistance is the little honey soaked tapioca pearls at the bottom.
When I went on a Paleo lifestyle shift, I did not know how I was going to be able to give up this sweet delight. However luckily for me, the internet had the answer. I found this recipe on a Paleo website, and made a few adjustments.
This is a Thai inspired Iced Tea, the tea bags are soaked with cardamom pods and star anise to give extra flavour. Then topped with coconut milk and tapioca pearls soaked in honey (technically not paleo so don’t add them if you are a strict Paleoister).
- Soak the tapioca in cold water overnight.
- Bring a pot to a rolling boil and then add the tapioca – cook for around 5 – 10 minutes or until you cannot taste any flour.
- Drain and then place in a flat dish with 1/2 cup of honey. Try to make sure that the pearls are not touching each other.
- Leave to cool
- Boil a kettle and then seep the tea bags with the star anise, 1/4 cup of honey and cardamom for 10 minutes.
- Wait for these to cool.
- Split the coconut milk evenly amongst three glasses.
- Top with the tea and stir.
- Add some ice cubes and the pearls
- ENJOY !
I hope you like it as much as I did!