So it’s been about six months since I was last here and man has it been a busy time! We welcome 2015 in the dS household as a slightly more relaxing one than our renovation packed 2014. We transformed our house from in Craig’s word a DUMP to a home. I’ve popped a few photos below:
This year I plan to set myself a more manageable goal of one food blog per week, that means 52 delicious recipes for you to try! I’m aiming high though with trying to adjust classic dishes such as pannecotta and brioche to be dairy/gluten free for those who want to try Paleo or have dietary specific needs.
So to kick off, I spent my New Years away at our family bach (holiday home for those non NZers) with a bunch of cool people. While I was away I came up with the following salad, full of super foods like beetroot, kumara (sweet potato), pumpkin and sunflower seeds and red onions. Topped off with a mayo and aioli dressing this makes a perfect lunch or monumental side for dinner parties in the summer.
Red Head Root Vegetable Salad
1/4 of a pumpkin or half a very large sweet potato
1 Large Potato
1 Large Beetroot
2 Large Carrots
2 Cloves of Garlic
30g of pumpkin seeds
30g of sunflower seeds
25g of Pine nuts
1 tsp of Tumeric
1 tsp of Mixed Spice
1 tbsp soft brown sugar
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp of Salt
1 tbsp of olive oil
2 large stalks of celery
1 Capsicum (Bell pepper) I used yellow but red or orange would also be great
1/4 of a red onion or alternatively 1 stalk of finely sliced spring onions (scallions)
1 Handful of chopped mint and basil
Optional: Aioli and Mayonaise
How to make it:
- Preheat your oven to 210°C or 410°F
- Cube the pumpkin, potato, beetroot and carrots and finely chop the garlic (even crush it)
- In a small bowl mix the nuts together with the salt and pepper and chopped garlic
- In another small bowl combine the spices
- Add the root vegetables and nuts to a roasting pan and stir to combine
- Drizzle the olive oil over the top and then sprinkle over the mixed spices. Stir to coat evenly.
- Roast the veges in the oven for 20 minutes or until they are cooked through and golden brown.
- While they are roasting, slice the celery, red onion, capsisum (bell pepper), and roughly chop the mint and basil.
- Add to a serving bowl and stir to combine.
- Once the root veges have finished, set aside to cool.
- When they are cool add them to the cool ingredients and stir to combine
- Add 1 – 2Tbsp of mayo and aioli and stir through (This is optional if you are paleo or dairy free – add some balsamic and olive oil instead)
- Serve and enjoy!