I don’t know about you but I have certainly noticed an increase in the number of people (yours truly included) that have developed an aversion to dairy products in the last ten years. And this can mean an unfortunate decline in desserts you can eat.
While I was on my Paleo stint in 2013, I came to really enjoy cooking with Coconut Cream as an alternative to cream in desserts so that I could still satiate my sweet tooth!
Coconuts are known for their immunity boosting properties and their flesh is highly fibrous (sourced from BBC GoodFood). Similar to cream, Coconut cream has a high level of saturated fat, so eat in moderation.
Below is the recipe I used to create a Paleo Friendly Panna Cotta (adapted from an Annabel Langbein recipe).
1 cup Almond Milk
1 cup Coconut Cream
1/4 – 1/3cup Sugar (I used brown but caster is probably better)
1 tsp of Vanilla Essence or a vanilla pod
4 tsp of powered gelatin dissolved in 125ml of boiling hot water
2. If you are using a vanilla pod remove this from the pot, when you bring the pan off the boil.
3. In a small cup mix pour 125mls of boiling water and whisk in the gelatin. Ensure this is well dissolved.
4. Whisk the gelatin mixture into the cream mixture on the stove.
5. Pour into 4 – 6 lightly greased glasses or ramekins.
6. Allow to cool to room temperature and then chill in the fridge for 4+ hours.
7. Serve with fresh berries or citrus.